Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bigg Boss


Hello Friends,

Today I wish to talk about me being a part of the reality show Bigg Boss. There have been many opinions, judgements, assumptions etc on why I chose to be a part of Bigg Boss and why I challenged the organizers when I was invited for re-entering the Bigg Boss house via a wild card entry. The news reports that I came across were sadly an attempt to sensationalise or scandalise the truth rather than getting to the root of the problem. I lay here my reasons for both joining and agitating-which are debatable.

To start with I felt challenged when I had received the invitation to be a participant in the show. No politician had ventured into that arena and entered a place where he would be watched 24x7. So I thought: Why not?

Another very crucial reason in my mind was that by being a part of the reality show I would be in a position to show the people of the country that politicians are not always what they are projected as. They are human too. They have emotions. They also crave to spend time with their families . And if I may say so, they too have interests in cooking, singing and arts. I believed I was not doing anything wrong.

It is altogether a different matter that I was nominated within a day of being in the House and mostly for the reason that – people did not understand me. For example Jade Goodie nominated me because she couldn’t recollect everyone’s names but mine. However, I wanted to leave gracefully, which I did.

As I watched the subsequent episodes, I realized that there wasn’t any clarity in the way participants were being voted out. [I am not laying any allegations.] I did get to hear similar thoughts from many people and I myself felt that something was amiss somewhere. Also the vulgarity of the show was increasing day by day. Brushing the thoughts under the carpet I moved on with my daily schedule.

Then I was invited for the wild card entry. This is where I put my foot down. The show had lost its decency. It was to be a family show in my understanding. But the vulgarity levels had reached their peak. The use of foul language had become an irritant. My belief system wouldn’t let me be a part of this evident vulgarity.

Along side I asked the organizers to show me the proof of the votes that had come in. I told them: “I will go once I am satisfied that the voting process is foolproof.” I wanted it to be transparent. But they were not ready to show the voting statistics. Why were they not ready to show the votes polled for various participants who were voted out? When it is a reality show and the rule of the game is public vote, why this shyness in revealing the figures? I feel the trust of the people in the organizers would have increased manifold had they been open about the process. But sadly, they weren’t.

Hence, I opted out. Was I wrong? I will appreciate your opinions – positive or negative on the not so transparent voting process and the increasing vulgarity of the show. I will try to respond to them.

Regards,

Sanjay Nirupam.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sir,

    I am a committed viewer of Big Boss. But as the show proceeds, it has changed many shades. I absolutely agree by your views, the show has crossed the certain level of decency. Its after the censorship of Big Boss. Either producers are enjoying this kind of outcome or they are interested in higher TRPs. Your disassociation at this juncture is highly appreciable.

    Regards
    A well wisher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its interesting to see you blog. I for one welcome you to this dynamic world of blogging. Well we did not get to see much of you in the big boss - the attempt was what matter. Many may say its plain publicity - in reality everyone wanted some part to be exposed to the public - so its all justified.

    Your question on the realty show really being a realty show is a great one. We all know Indian Idol is mocked so why would Big Boss not be.

    Is it Vulgar - may be but then again these people have grown in such environments. Dont look at them as one individual look at it as a part of on sect of society. Haven’t you heard policemen abuse? haven’t we all?

    Once again ,I hope like most bloggers that this is a genuine attempt to get in touch with people and not a rampant PR stunt. Throwing away the skepticism for just a bit -Welcome once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sanjayji,

    You have given valid reason for being a part of this programme. However, I don't like to see such programmes, the other day I was watching it for a while and felt so bored that I changed it.

    Yaha apni zindagi mein logo ko thodi bhi fursat nahi, waha doosro ki zindagi mein kyu taak jhaak karni?

    I recollect one of the comments posted by a Japanese friend who has interest in India and things Indian, he says "Serials mein har kirdaaro ka haal pata hain magar apni maa ki tabiyat kaisi hain ye poochhne ki kisi ko fursat nahi"

    All IMHO :)

    Cheers,
    Qamaal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sanjay Ji

    You are absolutely right the show is become vulgar, by watching show it feel like watching c grade movie.
    The producers are not transparent in vote the house mate come out of house not by vote its by director.

    regards,
    Devendra

    ReplyDelete

You can mail your email id's to nirupam.blogspot@gmail.com to receive updates on Sanjay Nirupam's blog.